Motivate, Learn, Lead
Motivate, Learn, Lead is a cross-sectoral leadership programme for library and information service practitioners, currently working at middle management level, in the East Midlands.
The pilot programme was commissioned by Libraries and Information East Midlands and funded by Museums, Libraries and Archives - East Midlands in 2006. A further, extended, programme has run each year since then.
All programmes have brought together participants from public and school libraries, Higher and Further Education, Schools Library Service, the NHS and special libraries as diverse as the British Geological Survey, Islamic Foundation and E-ON Engineering Ltd.
All programmes have aimed to:
• build personal confidence to provide leadership during times of change
• create a better understanding of self and the impact of one's own leadership style and behaviours
• develop leadership and communication behaviours and to motivate and inspire team members, colleagues and partners
• know how to empower, coach and develop team members and colleagues to achieve results
• use creative approaches to encourage innovation and effective risk management and
• develop partnership and advocacy skills in the libraries context and supporting the cross-sectoral agenda.
Feedback on all programmes has been very positive. On an individual level, it has built confidence in participants to see themselves as leaders as well as developing their leadership and advocacy skills.
"Fantastic opportunity to meet colleagues from other sectors, hear some inspirational speakers and to learn about a wide range of practical techniques and tools that will be really useful for your work."
"Even after the first day I was already putting into practice knowledge on change management with a serious situation at work. The programme has been well-thought out, professionally delivered, and highly useful from the beginning."
"A great opportunity to reflect on existing leadership skills, develop new techniques and discuss leadership challenges and solutions with library colleagues with a cross-sectoral balance"
Participants particularly valued the opportunity to learn more about themselves, to reflect on their own leadership styles and to network with library colleagues in the same and other library sectors. At an organisational and regional level, the programme has helped to develop future leaders who have a broader understanding of the sector but have also learned to adopt and adapt practices and ideas from sectors other than their own.
The eleventh Motivate, Learn, Lead programme began in November 2016.